[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
VG Thought • View topic - Flight Sims (get your wings)

Flight Sims (get your wings)

Come here to talk about the Commune in general. What games should we play next, how should we decide what games to play, whether or not to call this Brook Farm, stuff like that.

Flight Sims (get your wings)

Postby Yourself » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:42 am

Only post one game per post.

Some ideas for flight games we could play, not necessarily sims (that term is applied very ambiguously). Basically looking at stuff that is free-roaming (all-range mode), over-the-should or first person, and at least limited 3D (i.e. you can freely yaw AND pitch).

- This is a Konami NES game that originally had voice controls! I've played some of it (sans voice controls) and it's fast-paced and satisfying. Unfortunately it's only about 1/3 flying stages - the rest are gallery.
- Amiga WW1 game that is part first-person dogfighting and then some overhead isometric strafing runs. Kinda cool-looking.
- Genesis first-person scifi jet game that even has craaazy boss battles!
- Presumably this is from the same series but this one looks more "realistic", third-person, lotta Mode 7. Looks kinda boring compared to the Genesis game.
- We all know and love this "bad boy". I like the idea of concentrating solely on flying different vehicles, accentuating the idea that the core gameplay of a flight sim is learning to fly - and that's the whole game. There are obvious concerns with that too, but I won't say anything til I've played it.
- The original flight sim! I actually have never liked this series, there is a lot of chasing specks of pepper in a circle. Maybe it is too "pure" dogfighting?
- Golem suggested this N64 game and IMO it is pretty hard to look at.
- I think this expands on Pilotwings with more interesting environments, but I honestly know very little about it. It's not on VC so probably can't play it anyway.
- The 3DS Pilotwings actually looks like the coolest. I might have to buy this one. The combination of flight and exploration seems like a unique idea, something you don't get in all the WW2 and jet fighter sims.
- Fly a realistic bird thing with full motion controls! Embark on an adventure across the sky!
- This is a free Windows/OSX cross-platform multiplayer WW2 combat sim. As far as I can tell it's currently the most popular online multiplayer flight game. It has both a simulation and arcade control mode, the latter being pretty much 1-to-1 with no stalling or spinning or anything. Not sure what kinda specs it takes to run, but it's at least worth a try.
Yourself

Diplomacy: 1 : 1
Battle: 0 : 0

Re: Flight Sims (get your wings)

Postby Yourself » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:18 pm

Lazer Invasion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGVB2-HNgys - This is a Konami NES game that originally had voice controls! I've played some of it (sans voice controls) and it's fast-paced and satisfying. Unfortunately it's only about 1/3 flying stages - the rest are gallery.
Yourself

Postby Yourself » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:19 pm

Wings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL-qtxNgoHU - Amiga WW1 game that is part first-person dogfighting and then some overhead isometric strafing runs. Kinda cool-looking.
Yourself

Postby Yourself » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:19 pm

Air Diver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V3El7JHodM - Genesis first-person scifi jet game that even has craaazy boss battles!
Yourself

Postby Yourself » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:20 pm

Super Air Diver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkedJAme_h8 - Presumably this is from the same series but this one looks more "realistic", third-person, lotta Mode 7. Looks kinda boring compared to the Genesis game.
Yourself

Postby Yourself » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:20 pm

Pilotwings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cTyq6iQN7o - We all know and love this "bad boy". I like the idea of concentrating solely on flying different vehicles, accentuating the idea that the core gameplay of a flight sim is learning to fly - and that's the whole game. There are obvious concerns with that too, but I won't say anything til I've played it.
Yourself

Postby Yourself » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:21 pm

Ace Combat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XULNre7uFts - The original flight sim! I actually have never liked this series, there is a lot of chasing specks of pepper in a circle. Maybe it is too "pure" dogfighting?
Yourself

Postby Golem » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:21 pm

Aero Fighters Assault
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_gtPBCoiTM - Golem suggested this N64 game and IMO it is pretty hard to look at.
Golem

Diplomacy: 0 : 1

Postby Yourself » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:22 pm

Pilotwings 64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LY2EKBebvo - I think this expands on Pilotwings with more interesting environments, but I honestly know very little about it. It's not on VC so probably can't play it anyway.
Yourself

Postby Yourself » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:22 pm

Pilotwings Resort
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWPjRhr1bUA - The 3DS Pilotwings actually looks like the coolest. I might have to buy this one. The combination of flight and exploration seems like a unique idea, something you don't get in all the WW2 and jet fighter sims.
Yourself

Next

Return to Commune General Discussion