[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
VG Thought • View topic - Chapter 3 Missions

Chapter 3 Missions

Listen, if it weren't for Jersey, we wouldn't have Jaws.

Chapter 3 Missions

Postby Yourself » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:53 am

The missions seem to be getting a bit harder at this point. The info is more cryptic and of course with more of the world available it's less obvious / easier to forget where to look.

Task
- Procure and deliver lead-lined long johns to Mineola
Clues
- Mineola is on the border between Sectors 3C and 4C
- This area can be accessed via the helicopter
Description
- This one is pretty vague - finding Mineola isn't the challenge, it's looking for the lead-lined long johns. I normally save this kind for last and hope to stumble upon a solution, which so far has worked pretty well. Random quest items are often found at pawnbroker's shops, so it's a good idea to buy everything they have or at least make note of where to find which wares. Sometimes a quest is just a matter of finding a new marketplace....
Solution
- Head to the Newark airport and ride the helicopter to JFK
- From here the solution is just a matter of exploring everything available to you.
- Take the ferry at Sector 3D (14, 2) to cross over to Pelham.
- Head to the Yonkers Marketplace at Sector 3D (6, 9).
- Visit the pawnbroker here. He's selling the lead-lined long johns you need.
- Take the lead-lined long johns to Mineola at Sector 4C (1, 9). Instead of money, you'll receive a turnstile token as a delivery tip.
- Mission Complete!

Task
- Recover a relic that has been stolen from the George Washington's Headquarters Museum
Clues
- The museum is in Sector 1C
Description
- By this point you've probably stumbled across the museum at Sector 1C (9, 12), but it's been locked. This is one of those areas that becomes accessible at a fixed point, here at the beginning of Chapter 3 when Mathilda informs you of a new item in your Storage Cabinet: the museum key. When you arrive at the museum the rest is a matter of crime scene investigation.
Solution
- Take the museum key from the Storage Cabinet at HQ
- Head to Sector 1C (9, 12) and enter the museum
- Scan the environment. There is an unfaded spot on the carpet that is "roughly 18 inches in diameter". This is your key clue.
- You can also grab Washington's costume, but it's not necessary to this mission.
- From here you're on your own again. Keep on the lookout for something circular or with a circular base.
- If you're one to deduce, you might conclude that the opulent dwellings of warlords are most likely to house plundered historical items. I'm not, but I am one to recklessly search without warrant.
- The Patterson warlord's mansion at Sector 2D (9, 9) is decorated with a coat rack hidden by a fur coat. Take the coat and your hero will notice that the coat rack looks like it belongs in a museum. In fact it's even labeled "souvenir stand" and has a foot-and-a-half diameter base.
- You can also take the plastic case labeled N2O here, but it's not necessary to this mission.
- Take the souvenir stand/coat rack and return it to its place in the museum.
- As you exit the museum your hero will notice and pick up a turnstile token.
- Mission Complete!

Task
- Stop Doc Entropy's plan to crossbreed a sewer rat with a race horse!
Clues
- Doctor Entropy has been spotted at Belmont Park in Sector 3C
Description
- As usual, it's safe to assume that the Entropy mission is meant to be the last of the set. When you check out Belmont at Sector 3C (13, 7) you will find that turnstile tokens are needed to enter. These will be this chapter's quest prize, so make sure you get one at the end of each mission. Once you get in, you'll find a puzzle (like the previous two) that requires you to have collected some random item from a territory explored in this chapter.
Solution
- Find Belmont Park at Sector 3C (13, 7) and attempt to enter.
- You'll find you need turnstile tokens to do so.
- Complete all four other missions for the chapter and get a turnstile token from each one.
- Return to Belmont Park and enter to find Doctor Entropy causing quite a horrific scene.
- Check out the environment and notice there's an empty steel frame where a billboard once sat.
- This is where you need to use your "have explored and collected everything" superpower. Once doing so, you'll find a construction site placard laying aside at the Bernardsville Marketplace at Sector 1C (5, 8).
- The placard advertises a new glue factory. In yet another Hoboken Educational Test, the knowledge that glue is made from horses will help you out here.
- Place the placard on the steel frame at Belmont.
- Shit goes down. When the dust has cleared, be sure to grab the green tubepass.
- Mission Complete! Chapter Complete! Return to Matilda!

Task
- Priests at Piscataway Temple are suspected of corruption and bribery. Infiltrate the temple and put a stop to this practice.
Clues
- That's actually all the info you've got...
Description
- No clues here except our target location. You should know by now where to find Piscataway (Sector 1B) and what a temple looks like. This mission is mostly self-contained and the easy starting point for this group.
Solution
- Go to the Piscataway Temple at Sector 1B (11, 7)
- You'll be invited to a service in the temple sanctuary. Head west as indicated.
- This is one of those locations where an event transpires each time you take an action. As previously (the wig mission in Chapter 2), if you miss your window that's okay, just sit through and the cycle will begin again.
- Look at the altar and notice you can hide underneath. Go ahead and do so.
- There's nothing down here, so just use the Wait command and let things happen.
- At a certain point the priest will stick his foot in and step on a switch. After that you can investigate the knot and see it's some kind of device.
- After investigating the knot, check out the floorboards. The next one over is a loose board and can now be investigated and removed.
- A wire is revealed. Time to look for something to cut wire, like, say, wire cutters. Pawnbroker shops are always the first place to check for quest items - this one can be found at the Piscataway pawnbroker right next door in Sector 1B (12, 7). It's possible to come into this mission carrying these already - by this point in the game you've probably learned just to buy everything and carry it along.
- Snip the revealed wire with your wire cutters. This will somehow pop a turnstile token into your inventory.
- Wait out another cycle of the ceremony and witness the foiling of the conspirators.
- Mission complete!

Task
- The Liberty Bell has fallen and trapped a cat! The only reason anyone cares is that it's keeping nearby Camdenites awake with its annoying cat noises. Only you can "remedy" the situation.
Clues
- The Liberty Bell Pavilion is near the center of the Philadelphia Sector
- Philadelphia can be reached by tubecar from Newark
Description
- You've got your destination, go investigate! Only problem is, the Philly tubecar at the Newark station is red, and you don't have a red tubecar pass. There are a whole lotta items necessary to complete this mission and most of them will be encountered in the process of investigating others, so this is likely the one you'll do last.
Solution
- Wander around and fight random battles until one rewards you with the red tubecar pass. I got mine in Sector 2B, but I'm not sure it's necessarily there. This is the first time a random battle has been necessary for a quest item, but it's good practice to be wiping out all the enemies anyway.
- Head to Newark Sector 2C (6, 8) and enter the subway station at Newark Inner City (9, 10).
- If you didn't grab the plastic tubing last time you were here, now's your chance. Make sure it's in your inventory.
- Now that you have the red tubecar pass you can go downstairs and board the red tubecar to make your way to Philly.
- Explore Philadelphia. You'll find some forests here - if you can't yet enter them, you won't be able to find the Liberty Bell. If that's the case, it's time to continue exploring New York until you find the same pawnbroker that sold the lead-lined long johns at Sector 3D (6, 9). He's also got an orienteering guide which, when carried, will allow you to enter forests.
- With the orienteering guide in your possession, look for the Liberty Bell Pavilion at Philadelphia (10, 6).
- Have the party try to raise the Liberty Bell. The tiger inside will scare them off, but investigate the crack and take note that something can be inserted there.
- What can we slip in to pacify a tiger? If you've already got it you'll probably realize. When recovering the coat rack from the Sector 2D (9, 9) warlord's mansion during the Clown Nose mission, you should have also grabbed a suspicious plastic case labeled N2O (that is, laughing gas).
- The plastic case of N2O can't be used as is. But if you've been to the Sector 3D (6, 9) Yonkers market to buy the orienteering guide, you may also have visited the neighboring shaman. He'll take the plastic case off your hands and reward you with an N2O canister.
- Read the instructions on the N2O canister to find that you need to attach a hose and then shake it to dispense. Go ahead and attach the plastic tubing.
- Back at the Liberty Bell, insert the (attached) plastic tubing into the crack in the Liberty Bell.
- Shake the N2O canister. The tiger will be defeated through comedy.
- Your hero will find the fourth turnstile token after the tiger is scared off.
- It's probably a good idea to grab the whistle left behind, though it's not necessary to complete this mission.
- Mission Complete!
Last edited by Yourself on Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yourself

Diplomacy: 1 : 1
Battle: 0 : 0

Re: Chapter 3 Missions

Postby Sky-Fox » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:19 pm

Gonna go ahead and post a warning here. I've cleared all the sectors I can (including the New York Sewers) and I still haven't got the Red Tubepass. I'm not sure if I lost it by running from a battle, had it stolen from me or what, but I'm going to have to reload to an earlier file or restart since I'm stuck.
Sky-Fox

Diplomacy: 0 : 1

Postby Golem » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:09 pm

Golem

Postby Sky-Fox » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:11 pm

Actually, it might be possible to avoid ever needing the red tube pass. If you have the blue tube pass (I forget where it comes from. Do you start with it in storage?), you can use the subway in New Brunswick to get to Atlantic city. Then if you get the orange tube pass (bought near Flushing) you can take the subway a floor up to get to Philadelphia.
Sky-Fox

Postby Golem » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:26 am

Golem

Postby Golem » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:37 pm

I got stuck on Clown Nose and Tree Bark, so I looked up the solution to Clown Nose. I was surprised the missing piece was all the way back in the Paterson warlord's mansion. Now I feel like I have to revisit every copy+paste establishment in the game and make sure I try taking everything.

Actually, now that I look at it, it looks way different than the other warlord mansions. I wonder if I ever bothered coming in here.

I went back to , and only the Yonkers one works for opening the N2O case. However, when you talk to that shaman, you get the dialogue option, "Hey, I found your nitrous oxide!" When do you learn that it belongs to the Yonkers shaman?

An interesting note about Corona: if you use the whistle, the tiger appears, contemplates eating the rats, but runs away because of the horses.
Golem

Postby Yakoma » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:57 am

I got stuck on Corona because of the placard that wasn't well distinguished from the background. I don't even know why it works.
I also had the same issue where I needed to look up which exact Shaman it was that wanted the N2O case and that the Paterson Warlord mansion which is really far from the museum had the stolen coat hanger.
Yakoma

Diplomacy: 0 : 0

Postby Golem » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:15 pm

I definitely only had the placard because I pick up everything (except for fur coats and coat racks, apparently). It's lucky Yourself wrote this, because I didn't remember which town had it. It works because it's an advertisement for a glue factory.

Did you know to take the N2O case to a shaman, and you just needed to know which?
Golem

Return to Superhero League of Hoboken