Enemy spawns

For November 2012, we'll be playing Soul Blazer, the SNES classic developed by Quintet. (Not to be confused with Quartet for Master System.)

Enemy spawns

Postby Golem » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:00 am

One thing that's real weird about this game right off the bat is the enemy spawner. You know, this thing:
I feel like I generally find a good place to camp and then spam the sword button. Enemies trudge out one by one, and once their invincibility time is up, they get caught in my sword slashes. It's been making things kind of boring, though I haven't gotten far in the game.

Thoughts? How do you like combat so far?
Golem

Diplomacy: 0 : 1
Battle: 0 : 0

Re: Enemy spawns

Postby SoupEgg » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Yeah, I found this a bit weird. I also found that the safest place to hit bad guys from is diagonal to them, letting them get caught in the corner of your sword swing. It kinda reminds me of Ys 1, where you want to graze bad guys instead of hitting them head on.

Because of these things the combat seems more about pre-positioning and planning, which doesn't sound like a bad thing, but I'm not sure how I like it in practice.
SoupEgg

Postby Golem » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Oh man. I hope this doesn't count as a spoiler, but the second boss requires All Diagonals All the Time™.

Speaking of sword swings, they tend to have a really good hitbox. Like, sometimes I'll hit enemies right behind me.
Golem

Postby Golem » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:15 am

This video is mean-spirited and makes Soul Blazer look bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUhf20oLirE
Golem

Return to Soul Blazer Commune