Dr. Leo (spoilers for the end of the game)

For November 2012, we'll be playing Soul Blazer, the SNES classic developed by Quintet. (Not to be confused with Quartet for Master System.)

Dr. Leo (spoilers for the end of the game)

Postby Golem » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:55 pm

At the moment, what sticks with me most from Soul Blazer is the character of Doctor Leo. The entire time, you explore worlds that are created by him. Not only do you spelunk dungeons created through the use of his capture pod things, but the people and animals you meet are all influenced by Leo. In this respect, his house makes the perfect setting for the climax of the game; Soul Blazer is about exploring the world that Leo has created, and what space belongs to him more than his very home?

It's the kind of story you see in Heart of Darkness and Citizen Kane. The protagonist is a boring, empty shell of a guy, and he provides the lens through which you can see the main show, be it Kurtz, Kane, or Keo. Leo. And, much like (Castlevania) HoD and CK (Louis), you also observe networks that feel the indirect influence of Leo. The second world marks my favorite example of this, as apparently Leo's pet dog led a community of woodland creatures. They all speak fondly of Turbo, but you never hear about Leo himself--yet, it is Leo that shaped Turbo.

Down to his name, Leo is a creator--a god among men. "Leo" is the Latin word for lion, a creature often taken as a symbol for the Judeo-Christian God.

I find it curious, though, that no one ever speaks ill of Leo. He himself regrets creating the Evilmatic 5000, but no one blames him for their capture.

also why is the dog named "turbo"
Golem

Diplomacy: 0 : 1
Battle: 0 : 0

Re: Dr. Leo (spoilers for the end of the game)

Postby SoupEgg » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:34 am

I have nothing to add, but I just thought I'd post to let you know that this was an interesting analysis which stimulated my thoughts.
SoupEgg

Postby Shouty » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:25 pm

While it might seem like a silly and generic name for a dog, I think there's some meaning behind it like Dr. Leo's name. "Turbo" could come to mean "turbine" which is something used to set things in motion. Turbo, as the leader, spurred society in the forest and was the source of its progression. A turbine is also something man-made, as what is Leo's domestication of Turbo.
Shouty

Diplomacy: 0 : 0

Postby Golem » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:29 pm

Hot dog, I like that. 8)
Golem

Return to Soul Blazer Commune