[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
VG Thought • View topic - It has begun.

It has begun.

The first half of April/May 2014.

It has begun.

Postby Golem » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:06 am

Post here when you start playing Shatterhand!
Golem

Diplomacy: 0 : 1
Battle: 0 : 0

Re: It has begun.

Postby Yourself » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:43 pm

here we go :rollercoaster:

Already I have mixed feelings about the options. On one hand they provide some pretty goofy mechanics (just having to aim from a point an inch above your character is nuts! if you haven't played Soul Blazer that is...) that really make you pay attention to what's going on and play into a strategic pace for the game. I have to specifically consider the functionality of my option every time I see an enemy - it hasn't become natural at all yet (after 30-45 minutes - way after most character mechanics are second nature). That's also because there are so many options4options and it's hard to control which you will have at any point in time (and I think a little random - is it just me, or does continuing a stage randomize the alpha/beta placement?). At this point that seems theoretically neat, since all of them have their own way of working and the game gives you plenty of time to stop and think anyway (reminds me of Batman). So there are like 8 different versions of every level depending on which option you get! And you never know which version you'll have to play!

On the other hand that means the only constant between versions of the level is your normal punch, so if you're struggling, you either have to a.) hope/wait for the option you like or b.) just get good at using your punches anyway. Making the whole system feel a bit superfluous. Dunno, definitely will have to play more to see how much I'm able to rely on it. The other problem is that I struggle with my option controls and tend to get my little buddy killed every time the action gets cookin'. When enemies and projectiles are flying it's pretty difficult to consider where dodging with Shatter is going to swing the option (which often is into the line of fire).
Yourself

Diplomacy: 1 : 1

Postby Golem » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:16 pm

I was going to hold off for a bit before sharing my full thoughts, but I wanted to mention that you can punch the alpha/beta icons to convert them. I'm pretty sure you can punch the bags o' gold, too, though I'm not sure why.

Also, I don't yet have a good feel for when your guy decides to throw a strong punch. It's something like how many punches you throw without moving.
Golem

Postby Yourself » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:12 am

That's like something Arino would learn in the 9th hour by checking the instruction manual. Come on.

The hook is just the third (fourth?) punch in a standing combo. Once you throw one hook, all subsequent punches are hooks until you stop punching. It's a nice idea that seems to reward finding a way to stand your ground and fight rather than playing chicken and going for pot-shots while dodging in and out. I like dynamics that reward aggressive play, I ain't playin a video game so I can sit around all day like a pansy.
Yourself

Diplomacy: 1 : 1

Postby Sky-Fox » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:30 am

Sky-Fox

Return to Shatterhand