[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
VG Thought • View topic - Stage 2: Battleship

Stage 2: Battleship

The second Parodius game for SNES. This shmup series is a riff on Konami's famed Gradius series and features silly environments with outlandish characters.

Stage 2: Battleship

Postby Golem » Sat May 11, 2013 4:19 pm

I feel like this stage kinda wants to riff on the ol' fly-around-a-battleship-for-a-stage trope (see: R-Type stage 3), but uh, I can't say I ever notice much of what's going on in this stage. Plus, the cat battleship (cattleship?) only makes a few cameos, rather than being an ever-present threat.

The first stage is the hard part--there's bullets everywhere, you gotta watch what the crane's doing, and you need to build up powerups. By stage 2, I was fully stocked on powerups, so I overwhelmed the screen and never had to pay attention to what was going on.

It helped that the final powerup (for Goemon here, it's Reduce) is a health bar. Once you get that, you're set, since getting hit doesn't mean you instantly lose all your powerups.

Gradius games have the same sort of problems, but less exaggerated--Parodius' first stage is much busier than the first stage of any Gradius game I've played, and the second stage is much easier than the second stage of any Gradius game I've played.

What did you think of the battleship stage?
Golem

Diplomacy: 0 : 1
Battle: 0 : 0

Re: Stage 2: Battleship

Postby Zanreo » Sat May 11, 2013 10:25 pm

I liked it.
I also felt like the cat battleship was a bit of a "fake" miniboss sort of thing... you thought you had to defeat it at first, but then it just leaves shortly before you go on to fight the real mermaid boss. (Is it even possible to defeat it? At least I never did) It... makes you think you can, and have to, beat it, but turns out you don't.

My webcomic about game companies, check it out!
Zanreo

Diplomacy: 5 : 6
Battle: 0 : 0

Return to Gokujou Parodius