[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
VG Thought • View topic - Combat Pacing

Combat Pacing

For January 2013, let's take on this Castlevania clone for Sega's Master System and Game Gear. Hey, it even features Fumie Kumatani on the soundtrack!

Combat Pacing

Postby Golem » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:54 am

This is from the end of 3-2:
There's two creepy ladies flying right at me and three bats below me.

Oftentimes, I feel like this game has a lot of stuff flying around at once. (Heck, check Zan's comments on the world 3 boss in the sign-in thread.) Is that the sense you guys get?

I think the effect is exacerbated by the fact that many screens are layered one on top of another. Sometimes, there will be several stories on the screen at once, and you'll take steps to move between floors, but enemies sometimes roam as they please. Or, you've got to plan it so that you go to a different floor without hitting some enemy that's zipping back and forth.

And, well, I hate to compare everything to Castlevania, but it's so easy, so I'm gonna do it anyway. Isn't the Castlevania combat a little slower? Not that Dr. Social himself is fast, but his enemies sure are. The Belmonts face slower, more powerful enemies.
Golem

Diplomacy: 0 : 1
Battle: 0 : 0

Re: Combat Pacing

Postby Zanreo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:02 pm

Yeah, lots of times I feel there's too much stuff flying at me at once, making it very hard to avoid/kill them all. Especially when you get no time to prepare before they come running right at you...

Level 4, at least the first stage (haven't got past it yet) is really annoying with those birds flying up and down... and they're big too, so they're not that easy to avoid. So I think there's too much of those at times. It's too hard, and not even in the fun challenging way, this is more of an unfair "impossible to avoid them" challenge.

My webcomic about game companies, check it out!
Zanreo

Diplomacy: 5 : 6
Battle: 0 : 0

Return to Vampire: Master of Darkness